One of my favorite educators of all time is Maria Montessori. I love her thoughts, her ideas and her love for children. I was first interested in her when I heard of Montessori private schools many years ago. I wanted to have money to send my kids to a Montessori school, but of course was never given the blessing of wealth. Or maybe it's a blessing that I didn't have any money. I began researching many Montessori books when my oldest was a little boy, never fully intending to homeschool, but I wanted a Montessori home.
I watched a movie about Maria Montessori and was further inspired. She loved children and believed that they all have greatness within them and it is up to their caregivers to inspire and lead them along helping them find that greatness that they are already born with.
She believed in quiet and meaningful activities that apply to real life. I love this idea.
I've further been researching her ideas and trying to implement them into my home. One book that I recently read is called Montessori, The Science Behind The Genius. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in alternative free education. She believes that kids should be left alone to themselves to learn, of course being provided with materials and inspiring teachers. She also believed that children desire order and beauty. This book is great, because it validates her findings with research. It's always nice to have research to back up your beliefs. Amazingly, an interesting read. I truly believe that she was inspired. One last thing that I learned from her is that we need to expose our kids to beautiful music, art, nature....All these things are things that even young children desire and can naturally recognize. What a great person she was. I'm grateful for her research and findings.

No comments:
Post a Comment