Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Ghatto

            "  In  my language,  I'd like to see us educate the soul not just the mind." 
 " People say that the  word "educate"  means to  "draw out" a person's potential.  
But I like the "duc" part in the middle of it.  To be educated is to become a duke,
 a leader, a person of stature and color, a  presence and character." (Forward by Thomas Moore)

Now on to the really good stuff:
The following quotes were taken from a speech that John Taylor Ghatto gave in New York City in 1990 when he was being named the New York City Teacher of The Year.
REAL

"Two institutions control our children's lives "television and schooling", in that order.
"In centuries past, the time of childhood and adolescence would have been occupied in real work, real charity, real adventures and the realistic search for mentors who might teach what you really wanted to learn."

I noticed this word REAL used many times and couldn't help but think,  this is what I want is something REAL.  Don't get me wrong I don't absolutely despise TV or School.  I actually love both for the good that they offer,  but I want something more for myself and for my kids,  I want something REAL.  Hence we have chickens,  we spend time taking treats to neighbors,  inviting friends over for dinner and planting gardens all in the pursuit of something REAL.  I truly believe many children in our world are being brought up in a virtual world and I am bound and determined to bring my kids up in a real world.  

TIME
"Out of the 168 hours in a week,  my children sleep 56.  That leaves them 112 hours a week of which to fashion a self.  According to recent reports children watch 55 hours of television per week (or playing video games I might add),  then that leaves them 57 hours a week with which to grow up.  My children attend school 30 hours a week and use 8 hours getting ready for school and travelling to school and 7 hours to do homework-  that is a total of 45 hours.  During that time they are under constant surveillance.  They have no private time, private space and that leaves them 12 hours a week to create a unique consciousness.  Then of course they eat and that takes time, so they have about 9 hours per week of private time."  


This really struck me and this is one of the reasons I felt so strongly about keeping my kids home.  I felt they needed more time to be themselves.   

In closing his speech he said:

"It's Time for a return to democracy, individuality and Family."

I would like to quote this entire book,  but I have to say that this book opened my eyes to things I already knew and reaffirmed many of the beliefs that I already have.  I am glad that I read this book and was given a new perspective on childhood and how important it is to preserve childhood.  It is true that you will only be a kid once and an adult forever.  



No comments: