TO FEAR OR NOT TO FEAR THAT IS THE QUESTION?

One thing that I love about homeschooling is the ability to learn alongside my kids.  When they went to school, I would ask them, "What did you learn today?"  I would usually get the usual "nothing", or  "How was your day?", "Good".  Well,  I really wanted to know what they were learning and what they found interesting and exciting,  but usually didn't get much out of them.

Well, one thing that my oldest son is passionate about, is greek mythology, we've read books about mythology and even studied greek mathmaticians including Archimedes.  This has all been so interesting and exciting for me, since never in my life have I been interested in greek mythology, but having a son who is passionate about it, has made me very interested and I have found someinteresting things from the Greeks that I can apply to my life.

For one, is the fact that they had time to think and ponder.  They had time to contemplate ideas and questions.  If they didn't do this, we would have a whole different world today.

Well,  one question that I've been contemplating is the idea of fear.  The other day I was talking to a friend of mine about homeschooling.  She was saying that she doesn't want to homeschool her kids, because she doesn't feel it's appropriate to shelter her kids.  She said that she wants her kids to be "In the world, but not of the world."  Well,  I thought about this a lot.  This was a thought that I had a lot when I considered homeschooling.  I too didn't want to homeschool out of fear, because there are a lot of great things that kids can learn at school, and I agree kids shouldn't be locked up and sheltered from the world. 

However, I came to the conclusion that I shouldn't do anything out of fear but out of love.  One of my favorite scriptures is found in 2 Timothy 1:7
 
It is my firm belief that faith and fear cannot coexist.  This is why when I considered homeschooling and considered the fearful things that could happen, The Lord didn't tell me that this is what I needed to do.
 
When I took me desires not of fear, but of Power and Love, then my answer was "Yes".  I knew that I needed more time with my kids to nurture them and help them grow.  A mere 2 hours at the end of the day wasn't doing it for me.  I wanted to learn and spend time with my kids and create fun memories that would last them throughout their lifetime.  Most of all, I wanted to teach them the gospel and have a slower paced life where we can follow the spirit each and every day.  To me I wanted to homeschool to cultivate a stronger family relationship and bonds that will last through the eternities.  I also wanted to help my kids feel closer to the Lord and feel the spirit stronger in their lives.  When I took this desire to the Lord, then the answer as "Yes". 
 
I knew that the Lord desires all of His children to return and live with him.  If this is our main focus as parents, then the Lord says "Yes" do what you need to do to teach your kids, and I will help you.  He has helped me and I feel blessed that I have been given this opportunity and responsibility to bring my children unto Christ.
 

No comments: