January Flew By

So, I have been neglecting my kids in the photography department. I have been reading books, making hair bows, cleaning my house and preparing each week for singing time in Primary. These don't sound like very good excuses to me, but sometimes it feels so nice to just do things that I love to do. The kids have done good at keeping themselves busy though. I have been stocking up on poster boards and foam paper for sharing time since I am the Primary chorister this year. So, of course Dallin and Elise have some wonderful ideas of what they can do with these great new art supplies. I actually love for them to be creative and make things, so I was glad that they came up with some pretty cool pictures. It just means that I will have to go buy some new posterboard and hide it better this time.

One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to read more books for myself and for my kids.
I just wanted to write down the books that I have read so far this month. "Standing For Something", by President Hinckley. "Finding The Angel Within" by Pamela H. Hansen, "The Angels of Morgan Hill", by Donna Vanliere, and "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Oh, and I am also reading The New Testament. I think I am a little crazy on the reading, but I just love to read good books. So far my favorite book has been "The Angels of Morgan Hill". This was an amazing book that I could just read over and over again. I don't even know how to explain this book, but it is just one of those books that is soooo good, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Dallin is really liking Jigsaw Jones books and Magic Tree House books. We just read a book about Leonardo DaVinci and "The Mona Lisa" Dallin was so impressed by Leonardo's inventions and his notebooks that Dallin started to keep a notebook by his bed so that he can draw his inventions, it is pretty cute. He was so amazed that The Mona Lisa is probably the most famous painting in the world, and I told him that I have actually seen the real painting several times.

Elise has been fascinated with the "Pinkalicious" book by Victoria Kann. She cannot get enough of this book. She also loves "Fancy Nancy". She is starting to really be interested in learning how to read, so I have been trying to teach her a little bit. It is amazing how fast she is picking up on reading and sounding out letters. She already knows all of the sounds of the letters, so now she just needs to learn how to read words. Her age is such a fun age. I just love how she absorbs everything. What I would give to be 4 again for 1 day.

Jayden is fascinated with any book about "Thomas The Train", he loves trains and even though he doesn't say words he tries so hard to explain to me what is happening in the book, and he points out things like a guy who is juggling balls. It is so funny how he notices the little details in the books.


Lastly, something extremely funny that happened this past week happened when I went to Dallin's class to volunteer. His teacher asked me to interview the kids in his class and ask them what they would do if they were President of The United States. Dallin's class just learned about Martin Luther King, so half of the kids told me that they would let the black kids go to school with the white kids. I thought this was so cute, I didn't have the heart to tell the kids that they have black kids at their school who are in their class and go to school with them. They don't even notice the difference. One little girl said that if she were President she would "Love One Another, Serve others, and never tell lies"(this little girl was LDS). I thought it was so cute to hear the innocent answers of the kids, I just wish that they didn't have to grow up and they could all stay the way they are.

What a fun month January has been.

No comments: