Cutting Down Our Christmas Tree


We finally made it to cut down a Christmas tree about 2 weeks before Christmas. We were a little sad because I wanted this to be our family tradition but Justin had tried to get a permit from the Ranger station and they told him that they were out of permits for the year. We went to our Ward party and were talking to some friends about this, and it just so happened that Brother Hunter from our ward overheard us talking and told us that he had an extra permit that he didn't plan on using. I guess the Lord provides when you are in the right place at the right time. So, we finally had a Christmas tree for Christmas.
Our tree was a little bare, because there was so much snow in the mountains, that the kids were not having fun sinking deep into the snow. It was beginning to get dark, so I told Justin to go down the trail by himself and just cut down any tree that he saw. Well, he walked for about 20 minutes, and came back with nothing. So, I said, just cut down this tree here, pointing to a tree. He got out the ax and started chopping, and I saw it was missing one whole side, so I said, don't cut that one, let's do this one over here, so he started chopping and I noticed another tree. Finally, after halfway chopping 3 or 4 trees we decided on one that had a few more branches than the rest. We left that area of the forest with a few half chopped trees.
My parents always said growing up, that the tree that you ended up with would describe your new year. So, I guess this new year will be a little bare and very undecisive.
But it is the memories that count. I loved seeing my kids in the snow. They are so fun to be with.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: