Our Science and Cooking Days

Days 4, 5, 6
Science Days and Cooking Days

Dallin especially loves science.  Science experiments for me don't always turn out the way that I want them to, but I always tell the kids that is science.   Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  It was funny because I was trying to explain something to the kids about how the solar system works, and I didn't know quite how to explain it, seeing as I'm not a scientist.  Dallin chimed in to help me out, "that is just how Heavenly Father made it".  I thought, that is so true, sometimes there aren't always explanations to everything but when you have faith that Heavenly Father knows everything, you don't need to know the answer to everything.  Here is a list of the different science projects that the kids enjoyed doing.  I found them on Pinterest (what a great thing).
Making Balloon Hover boards with a CD and bottle cap.  This did not turn out so well, but the kids enjoyed playing with the balloons anyways.

The balloon was supposed to take off and hover over the ground as it deflated.  It just moved the CD a little, but didn't lift off the ground.

Dallin wanted to make this bouncy egg.  You put the egg in vinegar over night and it causes the egg to bounce.

This one turned out OK, the egg was see through in the morning, and it was a little bouncy.  But, it was quite messy.

The best science experiment that we did was making OOBLECK (I think it is 1 cup flour and 1 cup water and 2 cups corn starch) It was fun and messy.

The kids punched the bowl and found it to be hard as a rock.

When they stuck their hands in it it was gooey and slimy.

Everyone added some food coloring to watch the colors mix.

Jayden had fun adding the food coloring.


Then we used the shop vac to blow the colors and watch as they mixed.

The girl that did this project on Pinterest called it dancing oobleck, but we didn't have subwoofer speakers that can make this dance, so we had to improvise with a shop vac. 

COOKING PEACH DUMPLINGS

We have been going to the Farmers Market to get fresh fruit.  I wanted to make something with the yummy peaches that we got from the Farmers Market.

I had these pillsbury crescents and thought this would be an easy cooking project for the kids.  We sliced the peaches and then rolled them in the croissants.  Then we poured soda mixed with brown sugar cinnamon and butter over the croissants.  It made the yummiest peach dumplings you have ever tasted.


I just love watching these kids in the kitchen, I just wish there wasn't so much to clean up.


No comments: