Why We Do What We Do????

What??? You Homeschool??? That's crazy!!! .....Me:  I know...

So,  what in the heck made me decide that I wanted to homeschool.  I've been wanting to write this post for quite some time now.  It seems that most people think that they could never homeschool.  But,  as I listened to the last October 2015 General Conference it was confirmed to me time and time again that this is what the Lord wants me to do.  Is it easy??  No.  Is it worth it??? yes.

My favorite saying from growing up says...
 
I read a section in The Book of Mormon for LDS families that sums up to me why the Lord led me to do what I do.   I can't quote it word for word and I don't even know who said it.  I should find it and copy it.  Basically it says that the holy ghost will inspire us to do that which the Lord believes will bring us the most joy.
 
This is powerful.  Many people don't feel inspired to homeschool,  so,  maybe it isn't what will bring you the most joy.  But,  if you feel inspired and fear or doubt is holding you back,  well those are not feelings of the spirit.
 
I love that scripture.  I truly believe that the Lord believed that homeschool is what the Lord believed will bring me the most joy.  I am going to try and sum up this joy using the 4 f's.  Faith, Family, fulfillment, and food. 
 
These 4 F's are actually something that I am willing to give my life for.  Well,  homeschooling, you pretty much have to give your life for what you believe in,  if you don't give your life it will be hard.  But, you're giving your old life for a much better new life,  a life of fulfillment and joy and such fun times with your kids. 
 
So,  here it goes...
 
FAITH


I belong to the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" .  I love the gospel and I love Jesus Christ.  I have always wanted to share my faith with my kids, and my kids were in public school for 4 years.  I tried to do a family devotional each day and I thought this was enough.  But,   I just kept on feeling that they needed more.   I mean they spend 6 hours a day 5 days a week for 10 months out of the year away from home in a place where they don't even let you mention the name of "God".  They  might be ok or they might not.. 
In my extended family,  I see that they have not been ok.  I have cousins who grew up going to church each Sunday and well,  they are atheist.  Could it be a result of spending so much time in a secular world??  I don't know,  but definitely caused me to ponder.  I know,  homeschooling isn't a guarantee,  but it is the best way that I can do all that I can do to share my beliefs with my kids,  and I wanted to do "all that I can do".   I wanted to be able to discuss spiritual things throughout our day.  When they are in school  it really is more like 8 hours, because they spend 1 hour getting ready for school and coming home,  then they have homework,  and well,  where does the time go. 
 
I felt that homeschooling would give us more of a chance to feel the spirit and to relate everything that we learn to the eternal truths of the gospel.  Guess what...  It is true.  As I discuss math with my kids we can talk about how Heavenly Father used math to create the world,  anything that we learn can be related to the gospel and I love it.  This to me alone is worth it.  I wanted my kids to have a solid foundation in the gospel in an increasingly secular world.  I want them to feel the spirit at home and to make my home a holy place.
 
 
Finally,  in "The Family, A Proclamation to the World  "  a proclamation to the world released by the first presidency of our church it says that "the mother's primary responsibility is to nurture her children."  The definition of nurture isn't to tell them to do what their teacher tells them to do,  but to help them grow and discover their own individual worth and to teach them.  I think of nurturing a plant,  we need to stay close to it and water it each day especially while it is little.  I believe that the best time to guide children is while they're young and malleable.  The saying "it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks"..  is so true.   
 
 
stay tuned for the rest of this post....
(to be continued)
 
 
 
 

No comments: