WHAT BRINGS YOU JOY?
I recently read an article about early childhood education in Finland. I found it fascinating.
The title of the article is actually " The Joyful Illiterate Kindergartners of Finland", by Tim Walker
“Play is a very efficient way of learning for children,” she told me. “And we can use it in a way that children will learn with joy.”
The word “joy” caught me off guard—I’m certainly not used to hearing the word in conversations about education in America, where I received my training and taught for several years. But Holappa, detecting my surprise, reiterated that the country’s early-childhood education program indeed places a heavy emphasis on “joy,” which along with play is explicitly written into the curriculum as a learning concept. “There’s an old Finnish saying,” Holappa said. “Those things you learn without joy you will forget easily.”
Isn't it sad that we aren't taught in our modern American educational system that "Joy" is so important. I find it interesting that Finland emphasizes teaching their children joy when they are little and then focuses on rigorous academics in the later more mature years. Finnish students have actually consistently scored the top scores on international tests for 15 year olds.
We in America are still stuck on the fact that we want our 5 year olds to be reading and forcing them to do hours of tedious work when they are little and their minds are growing and developing.
This first dawned on me as I watched my kids play at the park. This is the first time that they've been given a body that they've been waiting for millions of years. It only makes sense that they need to experience the world by smelling, tasting, listening, touching and seeing. Maria Montessori and Charlotte Mason knew this as well.
Not only do our kids need to experience joy. We all need to experience joy. Find what makes us happy, find our purpose and find joy. That is what Heavenly Father wants for all of us.
When my kids were little I read the book entitled, "Teaching Your Children Joy", by Richard and Linda Eyre. I loved this book and I used it as my main resource in raising my little kids.
I believe that we are never to old to experience joy. What brings me joy is music. So, the other day we blasted some music and danced the morning away. I love dancing with my munchkins. Also, I love to be outside, so we try to go outside as much as possible.
To anyone that finds themselves in a rut. I say.
"Do what you love, and love what you do".
It is actually not what I say, but what Heavenly Father says. He basically is giving us permission to have joy. Make the most out of life and enjoy it to the fullest.


No comments:
Post a Comment