POLARIS

One thing that I love about homeschooling is that I get to learn so much.  I really love teaching my kids lessons from "The Family School"  no matter how hard it is.  It is mainly for me so that I can learn and hope my kids will join in on the fun.

I've been thinking about the north star lately.  We had an awesome lesson on constellations and the north star the other day.  I loved it.  I gave the kids each a piece of paper that they poked holes into and we created our own constellations.  Then we went into the closet and shone a flashlight through the holes.  It actually was pretty cool. 

Then we watched this video.  Which was amazing.

Then the older kids were getting antsy and I sent them off on their own to do their own research on specific constellations that are in this book:
 
These are not just your ordinary coloring books,  they are packed with information about the constellations and the bonus is that you get to color them.
 
My older kids each decided to record themselves giving an oral report into the ipad or phone on 4 constellations.  Then I had them find another word for "constant" and look up a scripture that related.
 
They both found that another word for constant was "eternal". Dallin shared the scripture in
D&C 3:2 that says..
"2 For God doth not walk in crooked paths, neither doth he turn to the right hand nor to the left, neither doth he vary from that which he hath said, therefore his paths are straight, and his course is one eternal round."
 
So, this is not our typical day,  but for me the inspiration was high,  the learning was amazing and the spirit was strong.  I would call this a victory.
 
  I learned some amazing things about the north star that I want to share.
 
First,  the word constellation derives from the word "Constant" which means unchanging or eternal.
 
The north star stays still in the same spot and has been in that same spot for thousands of years.  In the scriptures the Lord tells us that the stars were given to us for signs.
 
The constellations have been the same for thousands of years and revolve around the north star throughout the night.  Can you believe I didn't know this.  I was so excited to learn this.
 
So,  in relating this to my life. I like to relate the north star to my constants, things that never change. 
 
The gospel,
The scriptures
The importance of families. 
So, when life is changing and the world is spinning I feel that we need to hold on to that which is constant and we can stand strong and firm.
I loved this analogy of the north star and am so thankful to have learned this and have some constants in my life. 
 

No comments: