I believe the environment is one of the most essential characteristics in helping us have a successful home. It's not just a homeschool, but a home. I believe every home is a homeschool or should be, whether or not kids go to a formal school or learn at home. I believe that a home and family are the primary molders of a childs entire life.
In a home, we need to not only teach our kids life-skills, but spiritual, academic, social. So many things that need to take place in a home. There was a point when I was frazzled asking myself. How am I going to teach all of these skills to my kids. I feel the thing that has made all of the difference and taught me how to create an environment of learning, organization, love and the gospel has all been from my studies of this book:
The Demille's talk about how in order to create a house of learning and establish family goals, there are 55 ingredients like in a recipe that can help in this recipe of a successful home. I will go into greater detail about how we have applied the 55 ingredients in our home as outlined in this book "The Phases of Learning". It has made a diffference and it is amazing.
Just the other day as I watched Elise reading about Molly Pitcher and then highlighting all of the books that she wants her to read. I was amazed. She has on her list of books to read, all of the American Girl books, books about Abigail Adams, Amelia Earhart and all of these great women that are shaping and molding her. Dallin is reading plenty of fluff, but he is also reading about Thomas Jefferson, and so many books that I am just amazed at his choices. They have chosen these for themselves, the only work I did was inspire them to read about great women and men and shared scriptures with them that shape my views. This is true education when our kids learn to choose for themselves and are working on their own personal goals. Because, eventually they are only accountable for themselves.
I can't control what they choose, but I can control the environment in my home,
and I can control the choices that I offer them.
As they get older and learn how to make choices in the home then they are ready to make choices in the world (my two cents).
The Demille's have inspired me and helped me to learn how to create a house of learning and a place where my kids can learn to make choices and are choosing to learn. I will share what things we have done in later posts.
In their book they talk about 55 ingredients to a successful core and love of learning phase, roughly the ages 0-12. They have done a lot of research and applied these ingredients in their home and share how they applied them in their book. Also, Rachel Demille has a facebook group and anytime I have a question, I ask her (yes her), and she responds to me. She is like my own personal mentor. It is great. I'm so excited to share with you how we have applied these 55 ingredients to create the home that we have always wanted.
| These beautiful faces are my inspiration to keep on trying even when I fail. |




No comments:
Post a Comment